Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Snip Snip

Well I think I am finally fully recovered from my "procedure". I went into the local hospital first thing in the morning on 22 November and did all that I needed to do to register, and then the waiting began. Lots of time to think about what was actually going to happen-not a good thing. I'm usually not a squemish sort and operations have never really bothered me. Many years ago I was fortunate enough to be able to watch the doctor remove a cist from my leg and found the whole thing quite interesting. Anyway, back to my vasectomy.

After waiting for about an hour I was brought a gown and told to get ready as I would be the first patient going under the knife. Someone came and took the bed that I was sitting beside, and about 15 minutes later the same person came back and walked me into the operating theatre. I think they call it a theatre because there are lots of people watching. They had me get up onto the bed and get comfortable, and as soon as I was situated they lifted the gown and exposed me from the chest down--so much for being comfortable.

As I was being "prepped" I was looking around the room. To my left was the Surgeon and I was watching him get ready. I don't know why I looked down, but I did and he was wearing wellies and I think they had flowers on them. I was beginning to wonder what they were expecting might happen. At this point you might be thinking that maybe they had slipped me some meds but I can assure you that I was absolutely straight.

They finally got the show on the road and proceeded to inject the local anestetic into places where no needle has gone before. It hurt like a bugger, but I'll tell you it didn't hurt any where near as much as when the butcher made the incision. I think the NHS is trying to save a few bob by diluting their local freezing stuff with water because I can tell you that I wasn't numb. "Oh, did that hurt" the surgeon asked as my whole body went stiff as a board. I was surprised that I didn't scream or shout. I just answered "Yup" and he said that they would wait a couple more minutes before continuing to give the freezing more of a chance to "take hold".

I'll skip the details of the internal workings of the operation and get to the stitches. I guess the freezing still hadn't "taken hold" because I felt the prick (the needle, not the doctor) of each stitch and I could feel the thread being pulled snug. After it was all over they had me stand up and get my gown and dressing gown on and I had to walk back to the waiting area--no wheel chair or nothing. I think the freezing had finally "taken hold" because I didn't feel any more pain. Maybe it was the natural endorphins or maybe it was just the relief that it was finally over. They brought me a nice strong cuppa and buttered toast while I waited for Zulobia to come and pick me up. Anyway, it's done now. But if the vasectomy isn't successful, I'll be getting a general next time.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark Robins said...

Blaine, Blaine, Blaine, I read this this both laughing (sympathy) and squirming (empathy)!! I had an general, there was NO WAY ON GOD'S EARTH I was going to let some bored guy hack away at my family jewels while I watched. You've described everything I'd feared! The dentist is terrifying enough for me, let alone this. They even made you walk? Man...

1:54 AM  
Blogger Blaine Downie said...

Sorry Andy. It's kinda like mums telling the first time pregnant woman all the horror stories about child birth. I'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about. Your doctor looks like a spit fire pilot. What does that mean anyway?

1:56 PM  
Blogger Blaine Downie said...

gotcha

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Oh, Blaine; too bad you werent back here for this. I had it done last year, at the office of "Dr. Barry Rich" (and yes, I'm sure he is barry.. I mean, very rich; he tells me he does four of these a day, five days a week). Dr. Rich is one of Canada's experts in the 'no-scalpel vasectomy' -- http://www.no-scalpelvasectomy.com/.

I drove to his office, which is just like any GPs office, where these are done on an out-patient basis. I lay down on the bed, he came in and asked me to pull down my trousers to about my knees, he did his thing, and ten minutes later I was driving home. No pain, hardely any discomfort whatsoever.

Great idea on the blog! Dont have my own, so have to sign in as anonymous for now...

- Kirby

1:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well thank you Blaine for brightening my morning. There is fair play in this world after all!!
When my husband went for his he was lying on the slab exposed to the world and a little voice said, "Hello sir!" Yes, one of his former pupils was a nurse. Oh well, no running away at that stage!!

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home