Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Speed of Business

I remember an advertisment from when I was a teenager, I don't remember exactly what the product was but I think it was Xerox (I could be wrong here) which is a photocopier and other business machine supplier. Anyway, the tag for the advert was: "Moving at the speed of business!" The implication being that business was always fast moving and needed something that was able to keep up. I've been applying for lots of jobs lately, and it seems that nobody is in a hurry to hire anyone. An advert will be in a paper or on a website and will have a "closing date" for applications for about 2 or maybe 3 weeks away, and the advert will also usually tell you the date the interviews will be held which is probably 4 weeks after the "closing date". Obviously you can do the math, but that's sometimes 6 or maybe even 7 weeks after the CV gets put into the post, assuming you post it as soon as you see the advert. My point here, and I do have one, is that it seems to me that business moves very slow here in the UK. Maybe businesses in the UK are more organized than in Canada and can afford to take 2 months to decide on the right candidate for a position, I don't know. I am used to a turn around time of about 2 weeks maximum from the time I apply for a position to the time I find out whether I got the job or not. I have gotten some jobs, and I'm talking about management positions as well, withing 2 days of applying. I know it's just a different system here, and I'm not saying that what I'm used to is better, well, maybe I do think it's better. Anyway, I've been seriously applying for jobs for about a month now and still no joy. I am a little bit frustrated.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark Robins said...

This does sounds nuts, Blaine, why does it take so long? I'd guess it's just cultural. If it can be done in Canada it could be done here.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Blaine Downie said...

I was just ranting. I know the system here works because if it didn't I'm sure they would change it. Oh well, back to pounding the pavement.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Mark Robins said...

"If it didn't I'm sure they would change it." You what?? I don't think that level of pragmatism is that common!!

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home