Friday, February 16, 2007

University

Well, yesterday I headed into London to check out the school I want to attend this coming September. I am going to take a 2 year course at the London Metropolitan University called Music Technology, which in the end will leave me with the knowledge and qualifications to tune and repair pianos. I phoned the campus in the morning just to make sure the open day was still on, and having been assured that "of course it's still on", I bought my train ticket and made my way to the big city. The open day started at 2pm, and upon my arrival at 1.15pm I was informed that the open day had been cancelled. Fortunately the gentleman that I was speaking to was very kind and phoned the head of the department, and explained that I had travelled all the way from Southampton. The head guy agreed to speak with me and was very helpful, spending almost 2 hours with me answering all my strange questions.

In my heart I had hoped that the classes would be neatly arranged to fit into 2 full days, leaving 3 days to work and earn some money. We could stay in Southampton and I could do the commute into London for the 2 days of school. This year's schedule is: all day Monday, Tuesday afternoon, all day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday morning. Doesn't leave much time for work. If I was to get any kind of a job I would only see Zulobia and the kids between terms. I did some preliminary investigation into student funding today and found that there are quite a few bursaries and grants that you can apply for, but most will only consider your application after you have taken the maximum student loan out. I don't want a student loan. With the exception of the mortgage on the house we used to own in Canada, Zulobia and I have managed to stay out of debt our entire marriage.

It wasn't all negative. The course looks great, the first thing I saw as I left the building was the gherkin (you know the bullet shaped building), and the instructors seemed very knowledgeable and helpful. I am really looking forward to taking this course and getting on with tuning pianos.

I really felt like the idea to tune pianos came from God. Not that it is a "great and noble" career that will make me rich or change the world. After praying unceasingly for 3 years, well probably mostly whining, this idea just dropped into my head. It appeals to me on several different levels. I could be self employed, it keeps me in a creative frame of mind, and it is a very portable skill that is needed everywhere people own pianos. Anyway, I am still going for it. I just don't know what it will look like come September. I guess that's where my faith comes in!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark Robins said...

"Of course it's still on", I just knew what was acomin!! Still, I reckon you got a better day than you would have done if it had run as expected...

6:21 PM  
Blogger Blaine Downie said...

Yeah definitely. One on one with the instructor definitely beats being part of a tour group.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site for student loan:-
http://consolidation-of-private-studentloans.blogspot.com/

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home